Maria Sharapova Podcast Summary:
This podcast is quite unique, where Tim asked plenty of questions with regards to her personal life and experiences, rather than life hacks and tips.
1. Her mum managed to instill the power of a 'routine' from her younger days. Repetition is key to success.
2. Parents were supportive of her passion, willing to explore and push the boundaries with her - no matter what it takes.
3. Her father is a tennis coach, but is intelligent to know that he is NOT going to be the one to coach her to be a champion. A star coach is needed.
This is an amazing point for me, a very humble person to acknowledge his 'weakness', and to remove himself as an obstacle.
4. Parents did not give her any pressure along the way, and never once told her that she needed to win. She learnt to enjoy the process and the sport.
5. To Maria personally, success is more than just wanting to win. She wanted to be an icon for women, to show that women can be great. She thanks the pioneers such as the Williams sisters, for bashing through all the tough hurdles and made it easier for other women.
6. When you're successful, strangely everyone wants a piece of your success (wanting to take photos with you etc). When a challenger wins the match over me, to them they have won more than just a quarter or semi-finals. 'Wow, I've won Maria Sharapova'
The key is to just be focused and filter away all the distractions. Surround yourself with people with good minds and have your interests at heart.
7. She does self talks during matches to pep herself. 'I'll win'. She realized that there's a clear distinction in that, in situations where she was down and her positive reinforcements won her the game vs she was down and she put herself down with multiple confirmations that she was not on her best form and she ended up losing.
8. Both she and Tim Ferriss do not believe in the a balance of 50-50. For e.g. Work- Life balance. They always seek to give their utmost 100% in what they are doing, and know there has to be some form of sacrifice or trade-off with the other aspects of their lives.
9. They never stopped learning.
The information contained in Finance Savvy is provided to you for general information/circulation only and is not intended to nor will it create/induce the creation of any binding legal relations. The information or opinions provided do not constitute investment advice, a recommendation, an offer or solicitation to subscribe for, purchase or sell the investment product(s) mentioned herein. It does not have any regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation and any of your particular needs. Accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of any person or group of persons acting on this information. Investments are subject to investment risks including possible loss of the principal amount invested. The value of the product and the income from them may fall as well as rise.
You should seek advice from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment products mentioned, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs, before making a commitment to purchase the investment product. In the event that you choose not to obtain advice from a financial adviser, you should assess and consider whether the investment product is suitable for you before proceeding to invest.
Any views, opinions, references or other statements or facts provided in Finance Savvy are personal views. No liability is accepted for any direct/indirect or any other damages of any kind arising from or in connection with your reliance on the information provided herein.